Fugawi Aboard USA - quilted NOAA raster charts
On-demand quilted raster charts of the USA coastal areas and Great Lakes
About Fugawi Aboard USA
Exclusive to iNavX (minimum version 5.0.5) users with a Fugawi.com account and subscription to the Fugawi Aboard USA NOAA product: complete coverage of NOAA raster charts quilted together in seamless, contiguous regions! As you zoom and pan among different areas of NOAA chart coverage, the adjacent charts at the appropriate scale are downloaded and stored in memory for future offline use.
Gone are the days of hunting down chart IDs, scrolling through chart names, or even thinking about adjacent charts. Simply zoom in to the chart you want to view. Query the seamless chart to examine the underlying chart number, title, and depth units.
How to download and view the quilted charts
- If you have not already done so, buy or update the iNavX app for iOS within your iTunes account. These instructions assume iNavX version 5.0.5 or better.
- Purchase this seamless chart into your Fugawi account. (You may also buy this as an in-app purchase via the iTunes Store.)
- In iNavX, start on the world chart screen. Tap the Charts menu (upper-left corner) and then the Account button. Enter your Fugawi.com account's Email and case sensitive Password. Tap Save to return to the Charts menu screen.
- Under the My Charts tab, select this Fugawi Aboard title.
- Tap on the Quilted Charts text row near the top of the screen. (Note: there are no individual stand-alone charts for this collection.)
- Initially, you may see a gray empty grid which may be centered on your current GPS position. Finger drag to pan around the screen, zoom in or out by gesturing with your thumb and forefinger: spread fingers apart to zoom in, pinch fingers together to zoom out. After a brief wait, tiles of raster chart content will download and display. Zoom into areas outlined with red rectangles to see more detailed chart images, where available. Downloaded charts at a given scale are stored in memory for later offline use.
Additional notes on usage
- This chart collection is a seamless continuous "quilted" set of USA ocean coastal waters built from individual raster charts. You will need an Internet connection to download a stream of chart tiles (chunks of chart data) for whatever areas you pan / zoom into. All charts at a given scale are cached in the device's memory so you can continue to use them offline. While at home, with a good Internet connection, download all chart areas at all scales you anticipate a need for. There is no option to batch download everything of a named US state or other large pre-defined regions... simply download on-demand, fetch only the areas you actually need. When you are on a boat far away from Internet access, the charts will be there ready for viewing.
- Any individual numbered NOAA chart is represented by a thin red rectangle. To load / view an individual chart: tap the chart's red rectangle, select the NOAA chart title from the pop-over menu, and answer Yes to the download prompt. To return to the seamless chart: tap the back-arrow button to get to the main listing of charts; then, near the top of the list, tap Tiled Chart (older versions of iNavX display "00002_2 Tiled Chart").
- To clear the cache tap the "i" (information) button in the lower-right corner of the chart; then tap the action button in the upper-left corner and select Remove Chart.
- Tip for chart planning usage on GPS enabled iOS devices: The Settings gear-wheel icon at the upper-right corner of any NOAA chart has an option for Pos Icon Loc (position icon at location). This may be set to NONE to ensure the currently viewed chart area remains visible instead of auto-jumping to another chart at your current GPS position. When you do need GPS actively showing your boat's movements over a chart, set Pos Icon Loc back to CTR (center).
- If you need reliable GPS positioning data streaming into any model of iPhone or iPad (especially Wi-Fi only iPad models), we recommend investing in the Bad Elf GPS Pro.